Sunday, November 8, 2020

Spare The Rod; Spoil The Child

Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child

I remember as a little 8 year old boy in 4th grade at the old Junction City HS & elementary school, being selected to lead Bible reading & prayer over the school intercom during lunch hour. 

This was pre 1963 of course, when prayer & the Bible was allowed in school. How this occasion fell to me, I have no idea. 

But the teacher took me down this long hallway to the Principal"s office. There, the huge, burly, husky giant of a Principal sat me down in front of a big metal microphone and intercom system. I was nervous as could be. 

You see, I had heard all kinds of tales from the older boys about the Principal having an Electric Paddle in his office. (There were even rumors that he had paddles with a nail in the spanking end) 

Whew, I looked all around the office to see it, but finally I focused my mind on my job, reciting from memory all of John Chapter 14, and then praying, as devoutly as I could!

I have often wondered about that Electric Paddle though. I have never yet seen one, still to this day! But it's wild legend sure held my attention!

Now, I often think back to that day, when I got sent to the Principal's office and thank God for prayer & Bible recitation in school; and for a Principal with  an Electric Paddle! 

Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. 

Later on, as I grew older, I played basketball in high school. I had a tough coach. He’d hound me to death and make me work really hard. He’d criticize me and make me run. 

One day, I asked the Coach why he was always so tough on me. Am I not important to this team?

The Coach responded, “if I didn’t care about you, or you weren’t important to the team, I wouldn’t be on you, challenging you.”

God is kind of like my old Coach. He cares about me! And he cares about you! We are all important to him! Otherwise he would never correct us and challenge us!

Hebrews 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 

7. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

Darrell G. Young

No comments:

Post a Comment