Monday, August 30, 2021

No More Funerals

No More Funerals

Funerals are never fun! I hate funerals almost as much as I hate death! 

The first funeral I ever officiated over was the funeral of my very own Father. To say it was a difficult task to perform is an understatement. 

My Dad was a 57 year veteran of the ministry; and the only thing that made the task of eulogizing his passing possible for me was the absolute assurance of his salvation in Jesus!

I have since preached a lot of funerals. The only consolation of enduring the preaching of any funeral is being able to convey to the bereaved family and friends the hope of seeing their loved ones again in Heaven. 

Sadly, I have had a few occasions, where I could not ascertain the assurance of the deceased’s salvation. I conferred with all the family members, but not one single relative could vouch for the hope of the departing loved ones Soul! 

I can personally attest to everyone how distressing it is to preach the funeral of a probable lost Soul. It is a horrible gut-wrenching task. 

I have ever since directed all my congregants and friends to document in writing all the details of their salvation history. I encourage them to leave every collective detail: baptism date and location, church, pastor, and even a brief story of why and how they came to accept Jesus as their Savior!

I believe it is a sacred duty of every Christian to leave behind a transparent record of certainty about their faith in Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, too many people,  church goers included live a life that does not reflect optimistically to their families about their eternal destiny. 

Yes, I hate funerals! I hate witnessing the departure of my loved ones away from me. Upon the death of every single person, I automatically think: “Will I ever see them again?”

Funerals and everything about them is a very serious matter. But the good ole Gospel tells me that for the Christian, there is coming a day; when there will be “No More Funerals!”

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

No More Funerals…….What a day that will be!!!

by: Darrell G. Young



No comments:

Post a Comment